In a fix



The Great Mosque of Herat or "Jami Masjid of Herat", is a mosque in the city of Herat, in the Herat Province of north-western Afghanistan. It was built by the Ghurids, under the rule of the Sultan Ghiyath al-Din Muhammad Ghori, who laid its foundation in 1200 CE. It is magnificent, I have visited it twice during my visits to Herat.

During my recent visit, I was with my two colleagues in the spacious and wide courtyard of the mosque. It has beautiful patterns made with colorful tiles. The dominant tiles are blue. I was taking photographs and drifted to one of the places. I was so immersed, I could not realize when my friends moved ahead.

Suddenly to the familiar call "Baisaheb", I turned back. This person with a scarf over his head was wearing the traditional dress. I greeted him by bending. He asked are you from Pakistan, the people mostly from Karachi look similar to me, with a dark complexion. I was not surprised by his question. I said that I am from Hindustan. He smiled at me and again asked from which place, I am from. I replied that I am from Hyderabad. Immediately he said that but Hyderabad is in Pakistan. I told that, I am from Biryaniwala Hyderabad. Because Hyderabadi biryani is very famous and many people know that it is in India. He was not satisfied, moved some distance, but quickly turned back and walked briskly towards me and said that "I will tell a slogan abusing Pakistan and you have to say that". I was in a fix, he wanted to confirm that I am not from Pakistan. I was surprised by this rapid-fire question. I looked at him with a smile and turned towards the monument and started taking pictures. He said that I am not replying and arrogant. I again gave a smile. He left as he was going to pray in the mosque. I walked towards the colleagues and joined them. There is nothing good or bad, peoples perceptions are variable in space and time. The law of majority prevails whether good or bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Allure of Bullock Cart

Don’t tell Mom I was at Musi